Man accused of threatening Premier released
A man who denied posting a threat against the Premier on social media will be released from prison after almost three months on remand.
Magistrates’ Court ordered yesterday that Jared Gordon, 31, should be released on $3,500 bail on condition he wears an electronic monitor.
Mr Gordon, from Sandys, was charged with posting a message to David Burt on social media that was “menacing in character”.
The incident was alleged to have happened on July 15. Mr Gordon appeared in Magistrates’ Court on July 17 and he pleaded not guilty to the offences.
The court heard that he was released on bail on the condition that his parents signed bail. But Simone Smith-Bean, who represented Mr Gordon, said that his parents were unable to sign the bail form and he had been held in custody since then.
She added that Mr Gordon had spent about the same amount of time in custody than he would have if he had pleaded guilty to the offence.
Senior magistrate Juan Wolffe removed the requirement that his parents sign his bail, ordered him to be released as soon as a monitoring device was available and adjourned the case until October 26.
He also ordered Mr Gordon to stick to a 6pm to 6am curfew and not to go inside 200 yards of the Premier or his home. Mr Gordon was also told to stay out of Hamilton unless he had to attend court, and to avoid social media.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Take Our Poll
- "With Kathy Lynn Simmons becoming an MP, which Cabinet minister is likely to get the chop?"
- Lt-Col David Burch (Public Works)
- Lovitta Foggo (Community Affairs, Sport)
- Wayne Furbert (Cabinet Office)
- Jason Hayward (Labour)
- Renee Ming (National Security)
- Diallo Rabain (Education)
- Neville Tyrrell (Transport)
- Kim Wilson (Health)
- Total Votes: 1463
- Poll Archive