Motorist refuses breath test, banned three years
A man weeks away from having an 18-month road ban lifted was yesterday taken off the road for twice as long and fined after he was caught drink-driving and speeding.
Kevin Stephens, 32, pleaded guilty in Magistrates’ Court to drink-driving, speeding, refusing to take a breath test and driving while disqualified.
The court heard that police officers were conducting laser speed checks on August 16 in Devonshire when they spotted Stephens riding a motorcycle at 67km/h — almost double the 35km/h speed limit.
Police pulled him over and suspected Stephens had been drinking. Stephens said: “I can’t do this right now.”
Stephens failed a roadside breath test and was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.
A check discovered that he had been banned from the roads until September 20 for a similar offence. Officers demanded a later sample of breath, but Stephens refused.
Magistrates Maxanne Anderson fined Stephens, from Pembroke, a total of $3,120 and ordered him to pay by November 9.
She also banned him from the roads for three years.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Take Our Poll
- "With Kathy Lynn Simmons becoming an MP, which Cabinet minister is likely to get the chop?"
- Lt-Col David Burch (Public Works)
- Lovitta Foggo (Community Affairs, Sport)
- Wayne Furbert (Cabinet Office)
- Jason Hayward (Labour)
- Renee Ming (National Security)
- Diallo Rabain (Education)
- Neville Tyrrell (Transport)
- Kim Wilson (Health)
- Total Votes: 1463
- Poll Archive