Workman burnt in mid-morning fuel spill
A 48-year-old man was injured in an industrial accident in the City of Hamilton yesterday morning.
Police said a man was refuelling a power washer on Church Street, near Washington Lane, when fuel spilt and caught fire. Two men on the lift were uninjured.
A spokesman for the Bermuda Police Service said: “Apparently fumes from the fuel ignited and some fuel spilt, which also caught fire, with flames spreading to a nearby hydraulic lift.
“However, colleagues of the worker involved managed to quickly move the hydraulic lift and extinguish the fire.
“The 48 year old man is understood to have sustained minor burns to his hands — but declined medical treatment at the scene.”
He added that the fire was extinguished before the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service arrived.
A video circulated on social media showed flames at the base of what appeared to be a hydraulic lift and thick black smoke in the street.
The police spokesman said that the Government health and safety officer had been notified.
Temporary traffic diversions were in place as a precaution. The Government Health and Safety Officer has been notified.
• UPDATE: This story has been updated to include extra comment from the Bermuda Police Service