Caines defends $1,000 donation for derby match
Progressive Labour Party candidate Wayne Caines has defended making a $1,000 donation to a football match in the constituency in which he is standing.
Mr Caines, the candidate in Devonshire North West, was filmed in a video that circulated on social media holding up $6,000 for the winning team in a match between Deep Dale and Cedar Park.
Mr Caines wrote in a Facebook post yesterday that he had donated $1,000 of “personal funds” to the pot.
He said: “I know this is election season and many will try and make a dog’s breakfast of this event. But the men and women who were involved and witnessed the event will attest to the powerful community spirit present at the event.
“I look forward to having another match soon.”
Mr Caines said that people in the area had donated $5,000.
He added: “The game was organic, positive and powerful.”
Deep Dale won the match and the prize money,
Take Our Poll
- "With Kathy Lynn Simmons becoming an MP, which Cabinet minister is likely to get the chop?"
- Lt-Col David Burch (Public Works)
- Lovitta Foggo (Community Affairs, Sport)
- Wayne Furbert (Cabinet Office)
- Jason Hayward (Labour)
- Renee Ming (National Security)
- Diallo Rabain (Education)
- Neville Tyrrell (Transport)
- Kim Wilson (Health)
- Total Votes: 1463
- Poll Archive